State student support – BAföG

The German state supports students depending on parental income according to the Federal Education and Training Assistance Act (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz - BAföG). Half of the financial support is a subsidy, the other half must be paid back after the end of one’s studies.

Under certain circumstances foreign students, too, can receive BAföG, for example if:

    You yourself are a recognised asylum seeker or refugee
    Mother, father or spouse have German citizenship
    You worked in Germany for at least five years before the beginning of the studies, an apprenticeship does not count.
    Mother or father have worked in Germany for at least three years within the last six years.
    You are an EU-citizen and have worked in Germany for six months prior to commencing your studies. This occupation must have had a connection to the university subject studied

As conditions for the support of foreign students are closely linked to the immigration and foreign citizens’ laws, you should in any case consult the BAföG-Advice-System.

When receiving BAföG, it is much less complicated to receive an exemption for the Radio Fees License, and you can get a "Sozialanschluss" for your telephone line, which means being granted a number of free calls.


Akademisches Förderungswerk
Amt für Ausbildungsförderung
Universitätsstr. 150
44801 Bochum
Phone 0234/32-11010
E-Mail finanzierung@akafoe.de

The BAföG-Advice-System is located in the studierendenhaus (SH), level 1.

Post a Comment Blogger